- The Pict (published in Abandoned Towers 2010, Historical Tales 2013)
- This short is set in late Roman Britannia, and tells of an old Pictish warrior's troubled life and his return to his childhood home by the Antonine wall where a harrowing series of events scarred his life.
- Scotland 1 - 0 France (published in 'We'll Always Have Paris', 2013)
- HistFic is one passion, but I am also a football nut. Scotland are my team, and in this short I describe probably the most unlikely & glorious of victories for the national team. Best of all, it's for the TACC (Tartan Army Children's Charity). Go on, buy a copy ;)
- Scarlet Charmer (published in Tortured Hearts Volume 2, 2012)
- A bit a a diversion from my usual historical interests. Here, I teamed up with some great writers from YouWriteOnline to produce an anthology of short stories; gothic tales that pivot around love and the darker emotions this can evoke in everyday people. Do not read if you are alone....mwuhuhahahaha!
- The Guardian (2012)
- This is a historical flash piece set in imperial Rome. It follows a sentimental narrator's recollection of his role as protector of an orphaned boy in an age when glory was won with bloodshed.
- Day One (2012)
- This is a sci-fi short I wrote to explore the first person narrative point of view. I like the way it came together and have resisted the urge to further edit or expand it.
- The Hill (published in the Copperfield Review, volume 9, number 4, 2010)
- This flash piece is a snapshot into the tortured life of a survivor of the Trojan war. Unfortunately, the edition of The Copperfield Review it was published in has been archived, but the link above will take you to the republication here on my blog.
- Even Tide (published in the Copperfield Review, volume 9, number 4, 2010)
- This short piece takes place on a piece of wrecked Roman war galley, where a hastati and a Carthaginian must learn to trust one another in their darkest hour. Again, the edition of The Copperfield Review it was published in has been archived, but the link above will take you to the republication here on my blog.
- Redemption (published in the Copperfield Review, volume 9, number 4 2010)
- This short tells of a Roman soldier's day of reckoning, as he faces up to the ghosts that haunt every moment of his existence.
- Into the Breach (published in Abandoned Towers, 2009)
- As Constantinople teeters on the edge of destruction by the Ottoman hordes, one man steps forward to take his place in the crumbling old city walls. Guard Captain Darius must make a decision that could alter the course of history.